Carbon Monoxide Detector

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and highly poisonous gas that is produced when natural gas or LPG burns. The human body doesn’t recognise when carbon monoxide is present, which means it can easily kill you – it’s often called ‘the silent killer’ for this reason.

Why do you need to monitor Carbon Monoxide levels?

Properly fitted and well maintained gas heaters should only produce a small, safe amount of carbon monoxide (CO). Faulty or poorly maintained gas appliances can produce excessively high CO levels, presenting a very high risk of people in your home experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning.

Human senses cannot detect the presence of carbon monoxide. CO poisoning can happen without the immediate symptoms being obvious, or the symptoms may be confused with those of simple fatigue or a common cold. If symptoms show up it may be too late to reverse the effects of the poisoning.

CO poisoning can cause long-term health effects such as heart disease and brain damage, and is often deadly. The main cause of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning is from combustion of fuels such as petrol, oil, gas and wood in areas with little or no ventilation.

How can you prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

If you have a gas appliance in your home, or you are a landlord who rents out homes with indoor gas appliances, ensure they are serviced every year to minimise the risk of faults occurring.

We highly recommend installing a Carbon Monoxide Alarm in your home. This, in addition to properly maintaining your gas appliances, will help to ensure that CO levels are kept at a minimum throughout your home.

We recommend using a Carbon Monoxide Alarm with 10-year lithium battery. The alarms we install have a high performance, proven electrochemical sensor to sense CO levels (PPM). The sensor is individually calibrated and tested in CO gas to ensure accuracy. The memory feature records the last CO alarm level and can be useful to check if CO has been present while you or your tenant has been absent from the property.

Our carbon monoxide detectors and alarms have many features, including:

  • Proven electrochemical sensor (10 year life)
  • Sealed lithium battery
  • End of life indication
  • Easy to use large Test/Hush button
  • Pre-alarm indication gives early warning of CO
  • Loud distinct alarm sound
  • Memory feature indicates if CO has been previously detected
  • Power, alarm and fault indicator lights

Frequently Asked Questions

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and highly poisonous gas that is produced when wood, natural gas or LPG burns.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • tiredness
  • shortness of breath
  • headaches
  • dizziness
  • nausea
  • weakness
  • confusion
  • chest pain

If you suspect you may be affected by carbon monoxide, open your windows and doors, turn off the gas appliance and go outside to breathe fresh air. See your GP and ask whether your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide then get your gas heater serviced before you use it again.

Learn more about Gas Heating Service

  • If you have an indoor fuel heater, have it checked by a licensed professional at the start of winter to ensure it is not producing excess carbon monoxide.
  • If you have a fireplace, ensure that the chimney has no blockages before you start using it.
  • Similarly, if you have a wood heater ensure the exhaust vent pipe is free of blockages.
  • If you are camping and need to use portable cookers, heaters and barbecues in a covered area (for example, if it’s raining), make sure that the area is well ventilated.
  • In an emergency situation or power blackout where you need to use items such as electrical generators and portable heaters, ensure that the area they are being used in is well ventilated.

Please email or call us to arrange a residential or commercial quote for carbon monoxide detectors and alarms.

T: 08 8397 6100 (City)
T: 08 8554 2860 (South Coast)

“Professional service from beginning to end. The technicians arrived on time. They were polite, friendly and considerate with regards our patients and staff whilst carrying out their work. All round a very professional service which I would highly recommend to others.”

Rachel (Google review)

Contact us for more information on Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Thank you, your message has been sent and we will respond to your enquiry soon.
There was an error trying to send your message. Please call us on 8397 6100.

Adelaide’s Carbon Monoxide Detector Experts